Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunken Mornings



The world feels so large today. So unbearably large.

So large that it seems like no matter what I do, no matter who I meet, no matter how many ladders I try to construct or nights I spend in small rooms with loud music, sputtering on liquid Lethe,
I will never be able to bridge the oceans or sew together that horrible gap of vast nothingness between me and everything else.

Where are you? Will I ever find you in the 7 billion people out there?
What is destiny but coincidence?

Odysseus said "Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity." Is it bad that it is not eternity's vastness that haunts me but rather the vastness of what is now?

The vastness of human possibility, the vastness of all that we can't achieve, the vastness of everyone I will never meet, the vastness of the ground I will never cover, the things I will never do. I usually don't think this way. I usually soak in and rejoice in the large unknown. I usually celebrate it.


But today, I am scared of it.




2 comments:

  1. The vastness of human possibility,
    The vastness of all you have yet to achieve, The vastness of everyone you have yet to meet, The vastness of the ground you will cover,
    The things you will do.

    We can only celebrate that in which we find hope and possibility. Epictetus said that people "are not disturbed by things but by the view they take of them". Your thinking will make it so.

    Life is an endless search, in this lies both fear and wonder. Oceans are vast, too vast to bridge at once. But the answer is found not by looking at what lay beyond but what lay within. Find a way to create a ripple that resonates in those who immediately surround you, and you'll find it will spread far beyond what you thought were the reaches of your influence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth. . . I'm still here and I adore your thought process.

    Kind thoughts,

    ReplyDelete

Write me a song.